Sunday, November 12, 2006

Out of the comfort zone

Saturday night the First Coast Families with Children from China (FCC)organized a "Waiting Families" dinner. We try to attend the monthly FCC waiting family meetings which usually have a speaker or panel of some sort covering an adoption, China, or adoption-from-China topic . That's the kind of forum I typically like. You know, the ones where I can just sort of sit back, blend in, glean some information, and be on my merry, if somewhat introverted, way. So, you can see why heading into a group dinner where we only have "the adoption thing" in common with the others (a little LOST humor there...ahhh TV land) was pulling me out of my comfort zone.

As it turns out, "the adoption thing" is a huge thing to have in common. We had a blast, met some great people, and most importantly got to whine and complain (and listen to others whine and complain) about this wait. Check out Alyson & Ford's blog to see pictures of everyone stuffing their faces. Yummy! (How about this for a funny link to the past...their son-in-laws father gave me drum lessons back in my hometown many moons ago. I think I got that linkage right.)

I really do hope to forge some friendships in this group, both for the support aspect for me and Bobby and the future benefit it will provide Kayla to know the daughters and sons of other families formed through China adoption.

Here's to learning to grow the zone.

1 Comments:

At November 15, 2006 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really enjoyed speaking with you; had fun at the dinner. Hope to see you at future meetings. We can keep waiting together!

Alyson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home